Thank you so much for your willingness to support the ongoing enhancement of the Process Dashboard! Open source software is a community effort. When you make a contribution, other people within the community match that contribution, and everyone benefits.
||If you have already made a contribution and received a product key from the Process Dashboard development team, please click here.
Otherwise, here are some of the ways you can contribute:
- Financial Contributions
- For many organizations, a small donation is the simplest and easiest way to contribute. Your financial support makes it possible for us to continue developing and enhancing the Process Dashboard. More Info…
- Documentation / Training Materials
- Has your organization produced Process Dashboard-related training materials, presentations, or other documentation that you could share with the Process Dashboard user community? Yes…
- Would the materials be useful to other organizations, or do they contain terms and guidance that is specific to your organization only?
- Are the materials in a portable format? (For example, a wiki page could be difficult to share outside your organization.)
- Will your legal department sign a release form, allowing you to share the materials with other organizations under a Creative Commons license?
- Did you create the materials from scratch, or did you borrow from other sources? (For example: if you borrowed slides from a presentation that was created by the Software Engineering Institute, your training materials are now a derived work, and you do not have the right to distribute them without prior written permission from the SEI.)
If so, please contact the Process Dashboard development team.
- Do you read and write a language other than English? If so, would you be willing to help translate the Process Dashboard user interface into another language? Yes…
- The Process Dashboard comes bundled with an extra tool for creating and editing translations. From the main dashboard window, choose “C → Tools → Localization Tool.” The Localization Tool will open in a new window. (Note: If your computer’s language setting is English, the Localization Tool menu option will not appear.)
- You can enter translations and press the Save button. After saving changes, you can close and restart the Process Dashboard, and it will begin using your new translations. In this way, you can test whether the translations are correct in context.
- When you are satisfied with your translation efforts, please contact the Process Dashboard development team. We will be happy to work with you to incorporate the translations into a future release of the dashboard.
- Code Contributions
- Are you a skilled developer with Java expertise and PSP/TSP discipline? Would you be interested in contributing a new feature to the dashboard? Yes…
- The Process Dashboard development team follows a high-maturity software development process, with thorough peer reviews of requirements, high-level design, detailed-level design, and code. If you wish to contribute to the dashboard, you must participate in this high-maturity software development process.
- Therefore, if you have a feature idea, please contact the Process Dashboard development team to discuss the idea before you begin. Contacting us early will help to ensure that the requirements and design of your new feature fall in line with the long-term roadmap of the Process Dashboard. If you skip all of our peer reviews and contact us for the first time with a finished code patch, we may not be able to accept it.
- For your own protection as well as the protection of the entire community of Process Dashboard users, it is crucially important that all code contributions are unencumbered by third-party intellectual property claims. Many software developers are surprised to learn that their employer owns intellectual property rights to code that they write in their spare time. So before we can accept a code contribution, we will need a signed release from your employer’s legal department, stating that you are permitted to release your code as open source.
If you can satisfy these criteria, please contact the Process Dashboard development team to discuss your enhancement idea.
- Testing / Usability / GUI Design / Other software development skills
- There is more to software development than coding. Do you have skills in other areas where you feel you could make a contribution to the ongoing enhancement of the Process Dashboard? Yes…
- Open Source / Academia / US Government
- Are you a member of an open source project? Are you using/teaching PSP/TSP techniques in an academic environment? Or do you work for the US government? Yes…
- If you are an active contributor to another open source project, we want to let you know how much we appreciate the work you’re doing.
- If you are using or teaching PSP techniques at a college or university, we appreciate what you are doing to raise the bar for the maturity of software development organizations everywhere.
- The Process Dashboard got its start as an in-house tool in the US Air Force, and the US Government has contributed financial support to its development over the years. We appreciate this support and want to help other teams of active duty service members or US government civilian employees.
If any of these apply to you, please contact the Process Dashboard development team and we will be glad to issue you a free product key.
If you have questions about the contribution process, we invite you to view the frequently-asked questions list for the enhanced charts.